HOW TO WASH A LACE FRONTAL WIG
When it comes to lace frontal wigs, keeping it clean is very important because dirty frontals can easily cause bacteria build-up and make the hair feel and look unattractive. Washing your lace frontal wig is absolutely necessary if you want it to look its best and last you a long time.
Wigs should be taken care of just as you would your hair. They should be washed regularly but not too often and because of how delicate they are, you need to be very careful when washing the hair because rough-handling while washing the hair can cause the hair to lose its beauty and shine.
Knowing already that you have to wash and take good care of your lace frontal wigs, it could be a daunting task knowing how to wash your wigs and the right products to use. So, to help you through the process of keeping your lace frontal wigs clean and beautiful, we've outlined some important steps to follow as well as the do's and don'ts to make sure your wig looks it's best. For detailed explanations on how to properly wash, moisturize, dry and style your wig , here are the steps that should be taken:
Step 1: Prepping
- To wash your wig, you will need some tools and products such as, a wig stand, wide tooth combs, shampoo, conditioner and towels.
- Make sure to purchase only hair care products specifically designed for lace frontal wig. Do not buy regular drugstore hair products.
- Prep the hair by removing any adhesive residue in the lace. Using a wig adhesive remover and brush, gently brush off glue remains from the lace frontal. Do not peel off the adhesive residue forcefully to avoid tearing the lace frontal.
- Before washing, gently brush through the wig with a wide tooth comb or your fingers to remove knots and tangles. It is best to begin at the tip and work your way to the root of the hair. Do not snag the hair roughly to avoid shedding the hair.
Step 2: Shampoo
- First, rinse the hair gently under running water. The water should be slightly warm or at room temperature.
- Apply just enough shampoo to the hair starting from the tip and avoiding the root and the lace section of the wig.
- Gently dab the lace frontal and the inside of the cap with some of the soapy water. Do not scrub the lace frontal.
For the best results, use a shampoo most suitable for the wig texture, maybe curly, kinky or straight hair shampoo to retain the hair texture. And, for color-treated hair, mild shampoos should be used to maintain the hair color. Do not scrub or rub the hair because doing that can damage the hair strands.
Step 3: Rinsing
- Under cool running water, rinse the wig from the top down until all the shampoo is gone.
- Using a towel, gently blot the wig before applying conditioner. Do not wring the hair to remove excess water.
The hair should still be damp but it should not be sopping wet.
Step 4: Conditioner
- Apply conditioner to the damp hair in sections by using your hands to gently work the wig conditioner into the sections of hair. Ensure even application to make sure every strand of hair is coated with the conditioner.
- Avoid the base of the wig when applying conditioner because it can loosen the knots on the frontal and cause hair loss.
- Leave the conditioner to sit in the hair for at least five minutes.
- While the hair is saturated with the wig conditioner, gently detangle the wig using your fingers or a wide tooth comb. Beginning from the tip, comb the damp hair in small sections and work your way to the base of the wig. Do not force the tangles out of the hair, gently separate the knots and tangles to avoid shedding especially around the frontal.
- Rinse the conditioned hair thoroughly under cool running water.
- Squeeze the hair very gently to remove the excess water. Do not wring or twist the hair to avoid hair tangling and breakage.
Step 5: Drying
- Gently blot the hair with a towel. Do not brush the hair while it is wet to avoid damaging the hair fibres.
- Place the hair on a wig stand and allow it to air dry. Keep the hair out of direct sunlight.
- Avoid making use of a blow dryer while the hair is wet. Once the hair is completely dry, you can move on to styling the hair.
Maintaining a lace frontal wig does not have to be tedious or tiring, all you have to do is understand how to properly wash your wig. Also, ensure that when you are not wearing your wig, it should be on a wig stand to keep it from been tangled and to help the wig maintain its structure.
Avoid causing damage to the lace frontal wig by using hot water, chlorine and other liquids that may damage the hair fibres.
To get the best of your lace frontal wig, ensure it is washed properly and with the most suitable products and tools. You must also ensure to be really careful and gentle with the hair when washing, conditioning and drying it to get your lace frontal wig to look it's best.
Click here to learn how to cut a lace frontal wig!
🎄GIVE IT A TRY
- Zero-Risk: 30-Day Free Return & Exchange
- Fast Delivery: 48HR Free Worldwide Shipping
- High-rated by 800k Customers: Trustpilot Score 4.7
- Ready-to-wear Glueless Wigs: Beginner-friendly, install in seconds.
- Craftsmanship: All are crafted with the utmost care, each one is a treasure.